Monday, July 5, 2010

Coconut Protection





Coconut brings back so many good memories for me. Back in Haiti, I enjoyed coconut beverages on hot summer days with family to cool down and quench our thirst. The little joys you miss when they are gone. What I don’t miss is not being educated about natural resources that are readily available to me. Education is such a wonderful gift. While I was surrounded by coconut trees, I never knew that it was such a hair helper. I would, in fact, have looked any one I knew crazy if they all of a sudden started grinding coconut for their hair

There are so many ways to use coconut for your hair. This nut gets the job done when it comes to moisturizing and imparting shine. Lately, I’ve been hearing claims that coconut milk can also loosen one’s texture. It has even been compared to relaxers. I don’t know about that one! Well, here a recipe I’ve used for shine and moisture.

Coconut Milk and Cream
Coconut milk is the liquid obtained by grinding the coconut shavings and squeezing the juice out of it. This liquid has a very high concentration of fat and is very moisturizing to the hair. Because of its consistency, it is better to mix this with other ingredients before applying it to your hair. If you purchase coconut milk from a can, do not shake it before opening. Naturally the cream separates from the coconut milk and floats to the top. Scoop this out with a spoon to use in your recipe.

Coconut Cream Deep Conditioning Treatment
1 small bowl of coconut cream
1 ripe banana
¼ cup of honey

Warning- this treatment is VERY messy. I rarely do this myself. The results are usually amazingly soft and moisturized hair.

How to Use
- Mix the ingredients in a blender or with a handheld mixer. Mix until it is somewhat thick.
- Apply it to your damp hair very fast as the coconut milk will quickly start to drip.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap and cover it with an old towel.

Let is stay in your hair for approximately 30-45 minutes and rinse. Follow with a light conditioner, if necessary. Voila!


Coconut Oil
Though not quite as moisturizing as coconut cream (to me), coconut oil is a wonderful product as well. It has the same benefits as coconut milk but is a lot less messy and convenient to find. There are also more uses for coconut oil than there are for the cream. It works well as a hot oil treatment, a pre-conditioner protective coat for your hair and a wonderful sealant. Repeated use makes your hair shinier and stronger.



Courtesy of Texture Playground

No comments:

Post a Comment