Monday, July 5, 2010

Nails Damaging your Hair?


Could your Nails be Tearing through your Hair? Caring for natural hair is a mission and it is a little disheartening that the little things we overlook can hurt our hair. If you think of the changes you have made to your styling to protect your hair, you’d realize the last thing you want to get in the way of your progress is your nails. Finger combing means that you are not using styling appliances to distribute your products or to detangle your hair. Instead, you’re opting to use your hands. If your nails on the other hand are chipped, bitten or else, this can mean that your hair can get caught on your nails and break. Sometimes, it happens unnoticed, so always keep your nails in great condition to avoid it as much as possible.
How in the world did I think of that? Well, it happened to me last night. I was applying my leave-in conditioner, and felt a major pull. What do you know; my hair got caught under my broken nail that I forgot to file down. Now, I already keep my nails short having an infant at home, but sometimes running around, it slips my mind and I find myself reminded when my hair gets caught under my nails.


A few tips for strong, healthy and (hair friendly nails) from the Mayo Clinic:

Keep your nails short, square shaped and slightly rounded on top. Trim brittle nails after a bath or a 15-minute hand soak in bath oil. Then apply a moisturizer.
Moisturize your nails and cuticles at bedtime and cover them with cotton gloves.
Apply a nail hardener, but avoid products containing toluene sulfonamide or formaldehyde. These chemicals can cause redness or irritate the skin.
Don’t use nail polish remover more than twice a month. Instead, touch up the polish. When you do need a remover, avoid those that use acetone, which dries nails.
Repair splits or tears with nail glue or clear polish
Interested in reading more about nail care, then read this very informative piece by the MayoClinic

Reference: Nails: How to keep your fingernails healthy and strong found at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nails/WO00020

No comments:

Post a Comment