Monday, July 5, 2010

Detangling Natural Hair

While I am sure most of you know this already, this post is for the ones who are quite new to styling their natural hair and learning as they go. Detangling your natural hair can sometimes be a labor of love. As your hair gets longer, it will become even more important for you to take your time with it in order to avoid breakage.
You will need
- Many naturals swear by the Denman brush. It is not a guarantee that this will in fact work for you. MsHeatherNicole recently put out a video where she actually speaks against using this tool. In her case, it resulted in breakage that for a while she couldn’t quite explain. See her story on Youtube. OR
- The Denman comb. This is actually new to me as well. I found out that there is actually a comb that is friendly to naturals on Newly Natural’s website. I am anxiously waiting for her review of this comb. OR
- Fingers My favorite tool in the shower to detangle my hair. I fingercomb my hair in the shower unless my hair is so tangled that I need to actually use a brush.
- Conditioner, LOTS of conditioner—it can be a cheaper brand that you use solely for this purpose but please do not try to detangle your hair without conditioner. The reason for using conditioner is that it provides slip and makes detangling your hair much easier.
and
Section your hair
- Hair is much easier to detangle in small sections. In my case, four parts are necessary. If you have more hair, then you might need to separate it into even smaller parts.
When my hair is seriously tangled from poor styling throughout the week, I use a deep conditioner prior to detangling and allow the deep conditioner to set in my hair first. A oil treatment will have the same effect in most cases.





Courtesy of Texture Playground

No comments:

Post a Comment